Don't Blog? 5 Reasons Why You Should Attend #BlogHer16
Whether you are a millennial on a mission to rule the world, a seasoned business professional, or a woman looking to find herself again (or anything in between), most of us spend our days creating content. While blog writing is the cornerstone of the #BlogHer community, our conferences continue to incorporate the freshest ideas available for social sharing. But it’s not all about the social. Here are 5 reasons why you should attend #BlogHer16 in Los Angeles – even if you don’t blog.
1. It's all about content creation. Is Periscope your thing? What about SnapChat? While you may not sit down and create content in a blog format, chances are if you are on any social platform either for yourself, your own personal brand, or a brand that you work for, you are creating content. The AV Club Programming Track includes sessions on Periscope, Facebook Live, Vlogging and Podcasting – just to name a few. Plus, some of the most popular YouTubers will be on hand to teach you how to amp up your game and grow your audience.
2. Meet your fellow entrepreneurs. Are you a small business owner? Maybe you are someone who’s considering taking the leap and creating your own business? As a solo entrepreneur myself, I’ll tell you there is no better group of people to learn from than those you will find at #BlogHer16. Our speakers and attendees really understand the day-to-day struggles – and successes – of the entrepreneur. Networking and branding yourself, marketing with little or no budget, crafting your business pitch, and understanding your revenue sources – and potential – are universal to any industry. You'll learn all that and more in the Mind Your Business Programming Track.
3. Learn valuable life skills. Whether you are writing an essay for a college entrance submission or teaching your kids about digital responsibility, there is knowledge and networking to be gleaned for everyone at #BlogHer16. In the three years that I have been attending, I’ve applied what I have learned to become more socially aware in my community, grow my daughter’s Girl Scout Troop cookie sales, be more prepared for tax time (which my accountant really appreciates) and love myself more for the amazing person that I am.
4. Connect with people who "get it" – and you. Regardless of where you are in life, odds are there is someone in that same place too. The foundation of #BlogHer is an inclusive community of people who have found their tribes. The Official Facebook Group was created for people to connect and start “tribe building” before they even get onsite. The connections that you make here – personal and professional – are long term and go far beyond the conference experience. The greatest thing that I’ve gained through #BlogHer conferences is a tribe of people who understand the unnatural addiction I have to my phone (tablet, laptop and portable charging devices…) and the struggles of a small business owner who is also a single, stay-at-home mom. I am truly free to have my own identity outside of being someone’s mother, daughter, girlfriend, boss or employee.
5. The WOW moments. There will be WOW Moments scattered all through #BlogHer16 – Keynote Speakers, Voices of the Year, The Pitch, and celebrity appearances courtesy of our amazing Sponsors. I’m not kidding when I say that hearing the REALNESS from keynotes such as the founders of #BlackLivesMatter, Ariana Huffington, and Jenny Lawson (aka the Bloggess), just to name a few, who share their successes and struggles with #BlogHer attendees is invaluable. The Voices of the Year celebration - honoring the voices of our own community with their powerful words, images and video – is one of my very favorite parts of the #BlogHer conference experience. It’s a rare opportunity to fan-girl over celebrities and amazing content creators, and they are some of the more magical times I have spent at #BlogHer.
#BlogHer conferences have taught me so much about myself, what I can accomplish personally and professionally, and how much FUN it is to be ME for a weekend in the summer that I wouldn’t miss it for the world. I hope you will join us in Los Angeles for #BlogHer16 this August!
Expert Multi-Tasker, Sorkin fan and Cupcake Aficionado
Logistics Manager, Events
My personal blog: Me, Myself and Jen
Don't wait! #BlogHer16: Experts Among Us will take place from August 4-6, 2016, in Los Angeles, CA.